An overview of the challenges facing ‘next generation’ brands, consumer needs and packaging innovations to transform the global packaging industry in 2017.
There is a parallel path between brands striving to engage consumers on a more personal level and the influence that packaging has on consumer expectations.
Indumarsan reveals the five key trends that will impact the global packaging industry: a look at the challenges of ‘next generation’ brands, the needs of consumers and the packaging innovations set to transform the global packaging industry in 2017.
- Reconciling Package Structure and Branding
The time has come for brands to deploy unique packaging structures that not only differentiate on shelf, but also help shape and support brand identity.
- The face and role of online packaging
As e-commerce grows, brands must explore both the opportunities and threats this can bring, as the shift from in-store to online shopping becomes an essential part of the conversation in which packaging can play a differentiating role.
- Packaging is smart, active and intelligent
Technology is nowadays present in all areas of our lives, the term smart packaging refers mainly to two characteristics:
– The first is the ability of these containers to extend the life of their products with chemicals that prevent them from going rancid or acquiring mould.
– The second is that these containers have a built-in device that changes colour when the contents change their characteristics, such as taste or nutritional properties.
- The packaging experience
Packaging design has become a matter of mastering the need for brand recognition and variant identification and information. Consumers are looking for an experience beyond the simple consumption of the product, such as reuse of packaging.
- Extend my brand
Price is a key factor in consumers’ purchasing decisions, but brand trust also plays a key role. Brands can leverage trust to build loyalty and extend a product portfolio beyond traditional categories.